‘Be confident in the skin you are in, because that is the only body you will ever have, the only place that will ever be solely yours. Even if you will never be as skinny as those super models, or the beauty who makes everyone stare, you can be beautiful in your own way. And you have to accept this, and own it.’
Going solo, flicking the bean, teasing the kitty, me time, whatever you call it, there’s no reason to feel guilty about it, as it’s completely and utterly normal. Trust me.
In my opinion, I feel women aren’t encouraged to celebrate their natural sexual cravings or indulge in the exploration of their blossoming bodies. As a woman, the topic of female masturbation and touching ‘down there’ had always been seen as embarrassing and somewhat a taboo subject within society, and I think it’s time to change that. If men can talk freely about a little bit of self-loving, then why can’t we? Talking with friends, even as a twenty-something year old, I found that girls find it weird and shameful to explore themselves and even consider discovering what brings them to climax, almost dirty…and not in the good way.
Female masturbation isn’t talked about quite as much as male masturbation, in fact, only 60% of women admit to masturbating, When questioning why it’s so shameful to admit that when alone you indulge in a little sexual healing, the answers consisted of everything from fear of being judged about not getting sexual satisfaction from their partner to simply that they’re freaks who can’t get a man.
Well here’s a newsflash, masturbation is something to be proud of; something that’s not only bloody marvellous, but amazing for your mental and physical health, and also for your sex life.
How it benefits your health
· Masturbation provides protection from cervical infections and also helps to relieve urinary tract infections. This is because when women masturbate, the orgasm opens the cervix which stretches and draws the lubricant within the cervix, causing a rise in acidity within the cervical fluid. This increases friendly bacteria and allows more fluid to move from the cervix into the vagina, and flushes out unfriendly organisms that can cause infections.
· Masturbation can naturally fight insomnia through hormonal and tension release. Dopamine, the “feel-good” hormone, is increased during the anticipation of a sexual climax; so after climax, the calming hormones oxytocin and endorphins are released, making us feel the warm, relaxed and thus helping us to drift off to sleep.
· Masturbation is associated with improved cardiovascular health and lower risk of type-2 diabetes.
· Orgasm increases pelvic floor strength, which strengthens the entire region, as well as your sexual satisfaction.
How it benefits your mental health
· Masturbation helps let go of depressive emotions. As we become aroused, the hormone levels of dopamine and epinephrine soar in our bodies, which are both mood-boosters.
· Through this dopamine and epinephrine release into our bodies, it also reduces our stress levels.
· When we know, love, and nurture ourselves on emotional and physical levels, we gain confidence and grow through self-awareness. Being able to recognize, articulate, and experience what brings pleasure is a powerful step toward fulfilment.
· Masturbation can strengthen the sexual relationship with a partner. Allowing someone to witness you masturbate will not only build sexual confidence with each another, but you’ll be able to guide and teach your partner about what feels good for you, which will inevitably make him feel good knowing he’s doing it right.
Of course the traditional approach of climaxing with your fingers is very common and effective, but with sex toys they’re effortless, modern and will blow your naughty little mind. Yep, these gorgeous, buzzing devices are the perfect tool for female masturbation and in discovering what feels fantastic. You can use a toy for vaginal penetration or clitoral stimulation, or both at the same time; whatever you like, whatever you want; it’s time to start doing it.
So, turn up the heat, ladies and head for the bedroom. Let’s start embracing our sexual cravings and start to spoil our body rotten with some well-deserved trembles and treats.